A good work out

Posted by Tamie on Wednesday, September 10, 2008

So I'm trying to fit some work out's at the rec center into my fall routine. I went to a 5:00 p.m. class today and it was hilarious. Push ups, tricep dips, tons of lunging, free weight stuff all mixed in with cardio. By 5:20 I actually asked the teacher "do we do this the whole time?" She laughed and said "yes--we do 110 push ups by the end of class." At 5:30 I was ready to give up then the song "I will survive comes on." I seriously started laughing--the preferred release over crying fits. I just thought the words were perfect-- "I will not lay down and die. Oh no not I! I will survive!" Not just perfect for my work out but for my life.

I miraculously made it to the end of the work out AND was still smiling. I kept thinking funny things like how the people behind me were surely being motivated to work harder every time they saw me tighten my rear like Nacho Libre during the lunges. My push ups were very girly and small. I had to do all the modified, lower intensity versions but it was a start and a great work out. It's nice to see that once in awhile I'm learning not to take myself so seriously.

It's fun to have a little energy and motivation to work with after being so sick last year with the tonsil and other stuff. I no longer take a good work out for granted--health is so fragile.

Is anyone out there keeping any great health ideas to yourself? Let me know. And good luck to any of you Mom's hoping for a healthier year yourselves.
Comments (8)

110 pushups. Crazy. Good for you to get up that early and workout. I am so proud. Keep it up!

Posted September 11, 2008 at 8:04 AM by Blogger Jenna and Steve

Okay that is funny. I thought you were getting up at 5 and I thought was thinking way to go Tamie! I am still proud of you. I don't think I could do 110 girl pushups either, so that is still amazing

Posted September 11, 2008 at 5:37 PM by Blogger Jenna and Steve

Hey Tamie,

It is good to see your family doing so well. You look great and we miss seeing you guys. Take care.
Beverly

Posted September 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM by Blogger Wilcox Family

Good job! It feels good to workout and get in shape. My husband, Matt, and I have been working out together here at home in the evenings. It's been fun to do it together. The program we are doing is called P90X and it's a killer!! Hopefully in 90 days we will look awesome and can maintain our fitness after that!! I'm glad to see you had a great birthday and are doing well. I saw Bro. Wightman in August when we were in Idaho. I miss all the great Seminary Council friends, we should do another reunion in the future, I missed the last one!!

Posted September 15, 2008 at 8:02 PM by Blogger Jeannie

Wow, that is very impressive. I don't think I have EVER done 110 push ups total in my life. My goal this year is to eat healthier. I'll let you know how that goes...

Posted September 17, 2008 at 11:57 AM by Blogger Cami

Way to go, Tamie! I used to tell myself that when I'm done having kids I'm going to get myself into great shape. Then I decided that was a pretty lame-o attitude so I'm going to give it a shot as soon as I'm recovered from this one.
I am DEFINITELY hoping for a healthier year. It seems like we were always sick through the entirety of last winter. It gets old really fast, as you know. Sadly, the only things I can think to do differently are more vitamins and more hand-washing, which seems like it's always a fight around here. Grrrr.

Posted September 17, 2008 at 5:27 PM by Blogger Emily

I'm so impressed. This pregnancy has kicked my trash and I'm totally wanting to get back into shape. Wish you were close by so we could go to the gym together. I actually went to the gym this past week and walked on the treadmill for 3 miles. It was in hopes of going into labor it didn't do anything for me, but give me Shrek feet. Uggg...

My sister is totally into the fitness thing right now and just got certified as Personal trainer. She always does a "fit Friday" post with some good info. You can link to her blog from mine. It's AJ & Kristy.

Posted September 20, 2008 at 9:44 PM by Blogger The Thomas Family

Hey Heatons!!!!

This is Cassie Briggs!!! Remember we were once in the same ward about 2 years ago :) How are you guys doing?! We are now living in Ohio. We moved here for Jeff's job. We have a blog too briggsfamilyjournal.blogspot.com Keep in touch we would love to hear from you guys!!!

Posted October 7, 2008 at 12:03 PM by Blogger Cassie