All Hail 30 Years

Posted by Ryan on Friday, August 29, 2008

There are certain days in history that demand recognition. Some days we hold in reverence for the men and women who sacrificed to bring us safety, prosperity, and peace. Some days we celebrate for a great achievement whose endless fruits we graciously partake even hundreds of years afterwards. Some days we recognize for the purpose of pausing to consider how far we've come and recommitting to a better future for our sake and for that of our children. And some days are worth honoring simply because they cradle the heritage of a great and important person.
For me, August 29 is a day that commands recognition for each of these reasons. It is a day I reverence. It is a day I celebrate. It is a day when I pause to consider how far I've come and how much farther I have to go to be worthy of its fruits. And it is indeed a day that cradles the heritage of a great and important person.
It's the day when my dear Tamie was born.
Certainly August 29, 2008- 30 years after the event- is a day worthy of pause to consider the way she has touched our lives. This is my best attempt to meet the honor that this day is worthy to carry- my best attempt to fulfill her birthday wish.
"For my birthday, I want everyone's life to revolve around me and everyone to proclaim their undying fondness for me."
Those of us who know her can recognize the laughter behind it. But I, for one, think this to be such a small wish for one who deserves so much more.
I'm glad so many of you agree.
Comments (6)

This comment has been removed by the author.

Posted August 29, 2008 at 8:27 AM by Blogger Kristine the Killer Rabbit

Have a very wonderful birthday, Tamie!

Love from the Alvarez clan: Kristine, Alex, Alan and Benjamin ;-)

(PS: Don't forget to check your spelling when trying to post a nice comment for someone!)

Posted August 29, 2008 at 8:30 AM by Blogger Kristine the Killer Rabbit

The highlight of our August trip to Utah? Game night at Tamie’s. The warmth and friendship of family felt deeply, if too briefly. For a moment we were kids again…the fears and jeers we sometimes feel as adults—forgotten. It felt nice to be in a place so kind, so loving as brothers, sisters—friends, even—laughing and playing. I didn’t want to leave that night. It was one of those magical moments you never want to end. But out of politeness for our hostess who’d already stayed up way past bedtime to accommodate us “out-of-towners,” we left—reluctantly—the sting of time and distance made more evident by our closeness that night.

Tamie, I love you. I miss you. Thank you for welcoming me (and my family) into your heart and into your home. You have been a great source of support and strength for us as we’ve embarked on this adventure to Washington. Even though our visits are infrequent, your capacity for love makes it seem like we’re living right next door. I’m sorry for stealing your sister away from you. I know she longs to be near you, and I feel a sharp pang of sadness whenever I have to pull my kids away from yours at the end of our trips. It is a true testament to the love we feel for and from you and your family that we can go a year without seeing each other—yet pick up right where we left off.

We wish we could be there with you tonight as you celebrate. In our absence, have an extra piece of cake and an extra scoop of ice cream and know that there’s a family up here thinking of you tonight. May all your birthday wishes come true!

Happy 30th, Tamie!

Love, your brother—
Rob

Posted August 29, 2008 at 8:42 PM by Blogger RoxburghFour

tam, Happy birthday! Sheesh, no wonder Ryan is your Edward. That guy has a way with words! I love the part where he says, "demand recognition", it just sounds so passionate. Anyway, we love you guys. Thanks again for the very fun game night. That was a blast.

Posted August 30, 2008 at 7:04 AM by Blogger Kelly Fam

Man, I'm jealous I didn't get invited to declare my undying devotion to you, Tamie. Believe it or not, I did think about you several times on your b-day but w/new baby, didn't ever get a chance to email you.

I have to agree with all the things that have been expressed already. Your love of learning and improving yourself, thirst for gospel knowledge, infectious laugh, and ability to have fun, are all unique attributes to you.

I have so many funny memories of the fun times we had together in high school. Of course, my single-most favorite memory, which never fails to make me laugh, is the time we soaked Mr. Eady with his own garbage can. You gotta admit, it doesn't get any better than that.

Posted September 6, 2008 at 4:52 PM by Blogger Emily

I took a break from blogging at the wrong time. Now that I am catching up I realize what an opportunity I missed to tell you Happy Birthday and I love you too. There are a select few people who only bring back happy, fulfilled moments from high school times and you and Ryan are both in that group. Thank you for your example, friendship, and testimony. I love you.

Posted October 20, 2008 at 11:39 PM by Blogger Allison